Castlemaine Secondary College (CSC) encourages all families to pay essential education items as per DET guidelines however some students change schools or subjects during the school year. Additionally, students pay to participate in camps, excursions and extra-curricular activities, however circumstances prevent students from attending and a refund may be requested.
This policy is to provide guidelines to assist in determining eligibility for a full or part refund for charges paid to the college for essential educations items, materials, camps, excursions and extra-curricular activities. The policy will also ensure that the provision of optional services (i.e. camps) for students do not incur direct costs to the college.
- All refund requests must be made in writing within 14 days of the event or student exit from CSC
- A request for a refund does not automatically equate to a full refund of monies paid
- If the family has outstanding charges to CSC, any refund deemed appropriate will be offset against these outstanding charges.
- When required, payment of refunds will be made via direct deposit into a nominated bank account. No cash refunds will be given
- The policy will ensure that the provision of optional services (i.e. camps, instrumental music) do not incur direct costs to CSC.
Essential Student Learning Items:
- Where payment has been received for the essential student learning items and the student is exiting the school, a pro-rata refund dependent on the number of terms the student has been enrolled at the school for may be applicable. For example, a student departing at any point in Term 2 having paid the whole year’s fees in advance, may be refunded for Terms 3 & 4.
- Students changing subjects may be eligible for a refund for essential student learning items fees if changing between subject units within the first week of the semester. Any changes outside of this timeframe are at the Principal’s discretion.
- No refund is available for material kits/material charges where the costs have been incurred for the project or the student has taken ownership of the materials/project, i.e. woodwork, food studies.
- Students withdrawing from camps, excursions and extra-curriculum activities will not automatically be entitled to a refund.
- A refund (less any non-refundable deposit) may be payable to the parent/guardian if the Principal deems the withdrawal from the activity is due to unavoidable circumstances i.e. illness. Proof may be required e.g. medical certificate.
- Where the college is charged for the provision of a program or service as a bulk cost and not per head cost, no refund/credit is able to be given.
- Where there is a combination of a bulk charge and a ‘per head’ charge for an excursion, incursion or activity, only the ‘per head’ component may be refunded upon request.
Voluntary Financial Contributions
- Donations and voluntary financial contributions are non-refundable
This policy will be reviewed annually.
This Policy was ratified by College Council in May 2019